Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Losing sound on my computer

Every few months, when I start my computer and try to have iTunes play some music, there is no sound at all, apparently for no good reason. It happened to me again last week. What a first world problem, right?

Still, I figure I better write down what I did this time so that the next time it happens, I'm able to get my sound back up as quickly and smoothly as possible.

The very first thing I did was go into services.msc, stop the Windows Audio service, then restart it. No effect. Then I putzed around with Sound in the Control Panel with no results.

Then I uninstalled the first audio device (I left the headphone jack device alone, no headphones plugged in anyway).

After a restart, the speaker icon in the taskbar's notification area showed a bright red X. Also, no Internet connection, but that's a problem I can almost always resolve very quickly. Windows started the audio problems wizard, but even as that seemed to go nowhere, the speaker icon got back to its normal appearance.

So I went in the Sound section of the Control Panel to test some system sounds, like Asterisk and Calendar Reminder, and lo and behold: sound!

This means that the next time I have this problem, I should go straight to the Sound section of the Control Panel? Maybe, I'm not sure. It would be fine by me if I never have this particular problem again.

No comments:

Post a Comment