Saturday, April 30, 2011

Figured bass really helps piano reductions

Still working on the Horn Concerto in B-flat major commissioned by Ray Barnes through eBay.

A lesson that I learned from my edition of Antonio Salieri's Organ Concerto in C major for IMSLP is that a piano reduction of orchestral parts in a concerto is made real easy when you first do a figured bass realization from the bass parts. I admit I kind of dragged my feet on doing figured bass for the first movement (it was a snap for the last movement rondo because for the most part I could just copy and paste the figured bass for the A sections), but now that I sat down to do it, the task went pretty quickly. I'll have to leave it to another day to then use the figured bass realization as the basis for the piano reduction.

It should be noted that I don't want anyone to consider my figured bass realization authoritative even though I am the composer of the piece in the first place. Someone who is up to the task of doing figured bass on the spot from figures should use the provided bass part with the figures marked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment